TECHNET Archives

October 1997

From:
Phil Culpovich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 18:51:26 -0700
Jack:

I definately agree with Marty Grove from Chemcut that as far as safety
is concerned, Sodium Chlorate/Sodium Chloride is the way to go. Chlorine
gas is dangerous and so is peroxide. With chlorine gas, regulations
being put forward are driving PWB shops away from it anyway. As to
peroxide, I know of 2 shops that had fires/explosions directly
attributable to their peroxide which was thought to be handled safely at
the time. As to the chlorate/chloride mixture, the salt provides both
buffer and catalyst delivering THE safest cupric regeneration available.
Since everyone else is using this opportunity to promote specific
products, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Use the Vis-U-Etch 5 that I
demonstrated for you. You'll pay the least amount of all current
chlorate systems, have local service representation and get a machine
with the safety features you need. GFI, Input chemical flow detection,
bubble detection for small leaks and answers to your questions 24 hours
every day. Also, what you may not be aware of are the new glass light
cells included in all new VUE 5's. The glass light cells monitor the
etchant 1/4" at a time and with increased oxidizer concentration, can
control the etchant easily over 30 ounces per gallon! Less spent
generated, more efficient chemical usage and best of all, faster etch
rate without sacrificing etch factor. At our current mixture, we are
etching one ounce copper panels in 45 seconds! There is a definate
resurgence in interest in Vis-U-Etch since the VUE 5 came out with all
of its improvements. I'm sure that Charlie reported to you about his
visit to Alphanetics in Santa Ana, CA with favorable results. If you
need more references or have more questions for us, we'll be quite happy
to satisfy your needs.

Phil Culpovich

Oxford V.U.E., Inc.
818-353-4714