TECHNET Archives

October 1997

From:
"BROMLEY, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:19:37 -0400

        We are experiencing temperature cycle (-37C to 55C) test
failures on mixed technology (thru-hole one side, SMT other side) PWB
assemblies coated with Polyurethane per Mil-I-46058. The same assemblies
pass static temperature testing at the low, ambient and high points of
the temperature range. Uncoated assemblies will pass the temperature
cycle test. It is suspected that small bubbles in the conformal coating
(within allowable size per specification criteria) are accumulating
condensation during temperature transitions, causing bridging between
conductive surfaces on the SMT components. Has anyone experienced
similar problems?

Bill

Bill Bromley
Lead Designer