TECHNET Archives

October 1997

From:
Garry Morand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:23:08 -0400
Richard:

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out epoxy.  Our lab currently use a two part that
"blows-away" polys and acrylics.  It offers a quick cure (less than 30 minutes),
has excellent edge retention, flows nicely into tight areas, vias, etc... when
evacuated, is very hard (keeps sample from rounding), and is impervious to our
cleaning between polishing steps (our biggest gripe w/other mounting media).
It also cures clear, which is very, very important.

Now the bad news, it's slightly more than what your currently using for the same quantity.
Still, IMO, the quality samples that we get by using this material greatly outweighs
any thought of changing to other types of mounting media.
Our lab has been using this epoxy for over 13 years, and though we continue
to evaluate other epoxies, acrylics and polyesters, nothing matches this product,
or even comes close.  Maybe you could save the cash somewhere else in your sample
prep area??

Yeah, sounds like a sales pitch, I know, but I don't work for the supplier.  If still interested,
let me know and I'll send you the info.

regards,

Garry Morand
Digital Equipment Corporation