TECHNET Archives

September 1997

From:
Greg Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 11:08:10 +0000
I'd offer one other suggestion.

We've always been told that the OSP coating thickness cannot exceed 0.5
um, but we've seen instances where it greatly exceeds this value - up to 3x
in some situations.  The OSP suppliers have argued that this was
impossible, but the data did come from a very reputable lab and I don't doubt the
results.  The difference (in my opinion) comes from the analytical method.
 The OSP suppliers measure thickness on copper coupons by chemically
reducing the coating and calculating an average for the entire coupon.  (At
least, this was how they did this 3-4 years ago when we had this
discussion!)  The significantly thicker coatings were found in localized regions,
such as on BGA SMT pads.  The pad geometries, coupled with surface tension of
the coatings, may have contributed to the thicker readings.

Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA