TECHNET Archives

September 1997

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:03:53 UT
PLEASE forgive me but; when is a solder ball a problem?  4 micron or 5 micron?
Please introduce me to the amazing individual who can differentiate visually
between the 2 sizes.

You produce solder balls, and they are a potential reliability issue - FACT!

Having just returned from the French Brasage (Soldering) conference, a good
deal of time was frankly wasted, deliberating on the issue of solder balls:
how they are formed, why they are formed, whether they represent a defect and
if so, at what size do they become an issue -

For goodness sake, if you clean, this is no longer an issue.

The influence of a solder mask and its propensity to produce solder balls is
only a small part of the problem. Are you sure you are producing reliable
circuits? How do you know? You clean to < 10 microgrammes/inch2 NaCl
equivalence - so that means it's OK to leave that amount on every square inch
of your assembly?

Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Ltd                                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Alasan House, Albany Park                       Tel:    +44 (0)1276 691100
Camberley, Surrey GU15 2PL UK           Fax:    +44 (0)1276 691227