TECHNET Archives

September 1997

From:
Bob West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 07:51:48 -0700
Gloria Ebert:

It looks like you're getting several relies to your questions about
shoes and wrist straps.  We at Desco do not believe it's necessary to
wear both wrist straps AND foot grounders at the same time....unless
your particular circumstances warrent it.  Mobile personnel certainly
need to wear FG to maintain grounding.  We are, of course, assuming an
ESD floor of some kind.  We recommend that two FG be worn so that the
wearer always has one foot on the floor.  It is true that, if the person
is seated and both feet are on a foot rest and off the floor, the ground
connection will be broken.  This may be a matter of training to ensure
proper use.  Yes, a wrist strap worn when the person is seated will
ensure the connection.  This method should cover "all the bases."
In regard to FG vs Shoes, here is some points to consider:
1. FG have low resistance ratings (more conductive) than some shoe
designs, providing a path to grd which may be less susceptible to dirt &
contamination.
2. FG can be tested with standard "off the shelf" testers and
procedures. They may be tested rapidly and by the wearer.
3. FG are designed to fit all types of footwear universally.  Few FG
models are required to be on hand.
4. Superior electrical contact is made whether or not the user is
wearing nylon, wool or cotton hosiery.
5. FG can be worn with safety shoes.
6. Shoes must be fit to each person and those shoes must be worn evry
day.  The "style" issue must be considered in some cases.
7. Shoes cannot be interchanged between people.
8. The cost of loss or theft is considerably less for FG.
9. Shoes most likely will not be worn home. Lockers or other storage
must be provided
10. Visitors to the ESD area will find it easier to use temporary FG.
11. FG are stocked throughout the US at Desco distributors and
availability is not an issue.
12. Custom resistance values may be ordered with FG.
We do not believe that shoes offer a significant advantage over FG. If
we can be of further assistance with samples, tech help, etc., please
contact Desco.
Dave Bermani/Desco Ind.  [log in to unmask]