TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
David Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:24:47 -0500
>>> Sheila Smith <[log in to unmask]> 08/07/97 07:20am >>>
Jan,

 What sort of problems have you seen with Ag filled adhesives & PbSn
solders??  We are experiencing a mystery anamoly after elevated temp
burn-in
and suspect the Ag filled epoxy is doing something unexpected ... could you
elaborate?

 Thanks, Sheila Smith, TRACOR AES

At 11:10 AM 8/7/97 +0200, you wrote:
>*****  Unclassified  *****
>>
>>I have been told that gold and silver are incompatible materials for
>>bonding together, and that, therefore, gold finishes and silver-filled,
>>electrically conductive adhesives will not work well together.  Does
>>anyone have any data to corroborate or contradict this information?
>>
>>Steve Murphy

>Steve,
>
>We have a very long experience with silver-filled, electrically conductive
adhesives on gold. We use it, among others, for die bonding. We have never
experienced problems due to incompatability between gold and silver. We
have
seen problems with both materials in combination with PbSn solders, maybe
thats where this 'rumour' comes from.