TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Jan Bokhove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 11:10:27 +0200
*****  Unclassified  *****

>I have been told that gold and silver are incompatible materials for
>bonding together, and that, therefore, gold finishes and silver-filled,
>electrically conductive adhesives will not work well together.  Does
>anyone have any data to corroborate or contradict this information?
>
>Steve Murphy

Steve,

We have a very long experience with silver-filled, electrically conductive adhesives on gold. We use it, among others, for die bonding. We have never experienced problems due to incompatability between gold and silver. We have seen problems with both materials in combination with PbSn solders, maybe thats where this 'rumour' comes from.
Hope this helped.......
Jan Bokhove
Dep. CQM
Hollandse Signaalapparaten