TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Denis Meloche <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:54:52 -0400
I work for a manufacturer of solder paste, flux etc.  We have developed a
number of tests we perform in house to evaluate ours and our competitors
products.  Most of the tests involve printing and them measuring the print
deposited with a CyberOptics laser scanner to derive volume statistics.
The things we look at are the pad to pad volume on a board for common
aperture openings, print to print volume, resolution, tack life (practical
life on a stencil until the printing suffers), and then plot trend data.
The trend data is collected for average volume, standard deviation, height,
width, the print axis vs the aperture axis, changes over time, etc.   This
type of data collection is easy to do with the correct equipment and
software.  The solder paste is printed on ceramic substrates to give a good
look at the paste character without the influence of solder mask and HAL.
Some elements of this technique may be suited to testing screen printers.
Contact me offline if you wish and we can discuss specifics.

Denis Meloche
Heraeus Cermalloy
610-825-6050