TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Bob West <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:05:20 -0700
Phil Bavaro wrote:

> I have recently converted our production facilities over to dissipative
> shoes after an exhaustive (three years) study into the feasibility and cost
> savings aspects of taking on such a crazy task.
>
> The crazy side of this is that there are a million problems when you try to
> set up a contract to cover all of the sizes and unique feet that exist
> across say a thousand workers.
>
> The good news is that we are six months past the inception and it is going
> well after a rocky start.  We still use heelstraps for new employees until
> we can get them fitted and wearing the shoes.  We also demand that the
> operators wear the shoes, because after all, we paid for them 100%.  The
> employees considered it a moral booster, after all, wouldn't you like it if
> your company were to pay for a nice pair of comfortable shoes that are
> guaranteed for at least one year.
>
> The cost savings aspects of shoes versus straps continues to grow as we
> discover more and more benefits due to the shoes.  I justified the shoes on
> the avoidance of test logs, and the annual inherent cost of heelstraps
> (which we found to work at best only for four months).
>
> The major technical reason for the conversion is that the shoes, once
> verified to work properly, never fail for any reason thereafter.  A claim
> that no heelstrap can make.  Accordingly the strap test logs go away as
> there is no reason to log in 100 acceptance.
>
> I was one of the guinea pigs for the evaluation so I can personally say
> that the shoes do not make your feet sweat in order to work and in fact I
> felt that they were more comfortable than my original shoes which were
> R***ports (and I was an avid believer in those shoes).
>
> The major obstacles were convincing management to pay 100%, and then to
> select the correct styles and brands so that male and female wearers from a
> size 5 up to 15 were all accounted for.
>
> Another problem with heelstraps is that wriststraps are required when
> seated.  Try testing an operator wearing shoes while seated and you'll know
> why esd chair manufacturers aren't allowed in our facility.
>
> Phil Bavaro
> Qualcomm Inc
>
> At 08:05 AM 7/31/97 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> >After trying both, here is my opinion...a)  heel straps work good if you use
> >them
> >and if you use them on both feet.  People put one leg up while working a lot
> >and
> >then your not grounded.  They are cheap, wear out a lot and people forget to
> >use
> >them or not put them on proplerly.
> >
> >                                                       b)  foot wear, shoes
> >or boots are expensive,
> >a pain to set up for people to get the right size, etc. especially if you
> >have a shoe
> >truck come in.  But, you realy should not wear the same shoes every day, and
> >the
> [...]
Phil

I thought you might be interested to have some other opinions about your
topic.  We have 1,000's of customers, who over the years, have provided
us with some valuable data about foot grounders and shoes.

As a leading manufacturer of static control products, and one of the
largest producers of foot grounders, we have made the following
observations with regard to foot grounders and dissipative shoes:

1. Heel and toe grounders have low resistance ratings than most shoe
designs, providing a superior path-to-ground.  Also, making them less
susceptible to dirt and contamination.

2. Foot grounders can be tested using off-the-shelf test equipment and
test procedures.

3. Foot grounders fit all types of foot wear universally therefore, only
one or two part numbers need be stocked.

4. Superior electrical contact is made whether the user is wearing
nylon, woll, or cotton hosiery.

5. Foot grounders can be worn with safety shoes.

6. Shoes performance may be effected by irregular heel and sole wear.

7. Cost of loss or theft is considerably lower than shoes.

8. User must wear the same pair of shoes every day unless more than one
is provided.

9. Lockers may have to be provided to facilitate changing and loss or
theft of street shoes.

10. Office personnel will find it easier to wear foot grounders
temporarily.

11. Foot grounders are stocked throughout the country and availability
is rarely a problem.

12. Foor grounders can be worn with boots and clean room booties.

13. Custom resistance values are available with foot grounders.

14. Good quality foot grounders will last for more than a year.

Desco Industries
Gregg Heckler