TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
LES CONNALLY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LES CONNALLY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:09:18 -0700
Hi Glenn,

We have explored the Hole fill problem here at TI for a number of years with
the constrained core boards that we build here. We tried to hole fill boards
with solder prior to the thermal plane bonding and always, I mean always, had
problems with the solder erupting out of the holes. We finally went with a
polymer hole fill ( either thermally conductive or not ). The polymer is cured
prior to the thermal plane bonding. We also tried to hole fill with soldermask,
but always had problems with incomplete fill with all the masks on the market.
We also found, through thermal cycling, that an incomplete fill impacts long
term reliability

Wish You luck,

Les Connally,