TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Barry Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:29:42 -0400
I will appreciate advice from anyone with experience soldering RF shielding
cans onto boards by reflow soldering.  We have a design that requires a
continuous solder fillet between the board and the can and all internal seams
on the can must be sealed.  We are considering placing a bead of solder paste
around the joints and sending the assembly, complete with the SMT installed,
through the reflow oven.  Our concern is that, due to unmatched CTE, the boards
will warp and the solder joints between the can and the board will be under
stress.

Thanks in advance.

Barry Allen, P. Eng.
SED Systems Inc.