TECHNET Archives

August 1997

TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:00:30 +0200
(TECHNET)Temp (21 lines)
Hi all!
As most of You, probably, know that after wave soldering, when a solder
joint is cooling it creates a peak called recalesence (spelling?!). I've
done some testing a couple of days now on an other subject, and got a
little curious about this fenomenom. We have a Seho and the preheat
temperature is about 120degC inside a PTH. The cooling rate after wave
is about 2,30degC/sec within a time period of 20 seconds before the
recalesence peak. The peak temperature occurs at approx 170degC and
range from 170degC to 180degC.
So I have a couple of questions to some of You out there in cyberspace:

- At what temperatures is this peak critical to the solder joint?
- Will this peak increase in temperature when cooling of a pcb faster
(with help of fans or similar)?
- Is there some way of predicting, or calculate, the temperature peak?

Thank you all for taking time in reading this, little bit, odd mail.

/Jan Merstrand