TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
"Mark R. Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:17:33 -0700
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list and would like to ask your opinion on something.

I work in the CAM dept of a circuit board manufacturer.  We use Orbotech
CAM software and HP workstations.  My title is CAM Operator.  I have
been doing CAM for 10 years and have branched out into computer
programming (Unix csh, awk, perl).

I have outgrown this title as my main contribution these days are system
administration, lots of script writing (automating our tooling process),
training new CAM operators and evolving our CAM process to handle more
jobs per day.

My problem is convincing my boss that people doing what I am doing have
a different title and are receiving more compensation.

So, if any of you do the kind of work I do would you consider sharing
your job title, you don't have to share your compensation!  I would
welcome opinions on IF what I am doing deserves more compensation than a
CAM operator however...

Many thanks,
Mark