TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Steve Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:22:19 -0600
I have reviewed the archives on this subject and found only 4 responses
that are directly related to X-Outs with only one providing any response to
questions. This subject is raising it ugly head again in our company and I
would like to get some more input from other Design, Manufacturing &
Fabrication professionals as to their individual x-out policies.

I realize that accepting x-out puts a burden on the warehouse people
keeping up with the sorting and allocating of boards to the line. Also the
manufacturing departments for keeping track of the correct program to run
depending on which x-out they are running. But if all of this is set down
in an acceptable policy and everyone from the fabricator through to
production follows the procedure wouldn't the out come give the bottom line
of the company a boost. Since the other end of the spectrum is to not allow
x-outs and have vendors start raising prices.  We all know this is what
will happen even if we stand on the statement that we will not pay for
vendors poor quality. At some point the vendor has to make up for those
boards on the panels that were good and went into the garbage anyway. There
are situations where a vendor may only x-out the obvious bad boards and may
still have marginally acceptable parts not x'd out. In these cases
shouldn't it be the responsibility of the incoming inspection department to
catch these as bad boards and make a qualified rejection based on their
findings.

Well I'll get down off my soapbox for now. As you can see this is a touchy
subject not only here but I suspect at other companies as well.

All responses will be greatly appreciated since I don't think this subject
has garnered the attention is deserves in the past.

Thank again.

Steve Collins
PCB Design Supervisor
ANTEC International