TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Karen Tellefsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:38:03 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>      Hello,
>
>      I am new to SIR test and have several questions needing help.
>
>      1. Where do I get SIR test coupons or Gerber data? The places I know
>      are IPC-B-25/28/36, Topline "saber" array and Microtek Lab.

A lot of companies design their own populated SIR/daisy chain patterns.
IPC sells Gerber files for all their test coupons.  Laura Turbini and
Ron Iman have artwork for some interesting test coupons.

>      2. What are the differences among these different IPC coupons?

IPC-B-25 is not populated and IPC-B-36 is designed to be populated.

>      3. Any pros and cons of IPC, Saber and Microtek?
>
>      4. Do all these test patterns have pad patterns for standard component
>         such as QFP, SOIC, TSOP etc.?

IPC-B-25 doesn't.

>      5. Any abbreviated SIR tests?
> Do you want a standard test or a screening test?  24 hours of
temperature/humidity/bias exposure is fine for SIR screening, but it
will only provide electromigration information on very bad test coupons.