TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Sherman Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 06:41:03 PDT
Second Posting as I am not sure the first made it.

Hi everyone!!

I need some help.

In our company, a debate rages about the appropriate date code limitation
to use to assure solderability of SMT components in a no-clean process.
The engineering side of the house (that's me) recommends that in light of
the fact we aren't equipped to do solderability testing on all materials,
we opt for a six month shelf life as a target and dig in our heels at 12
months. The "enemy" (purchasing) says that their vendors (distribution)
claims that two years is an industry standard and that they cannot get
reliable supplies if we tell our vendors we will not accept anything
older than 12 months.

For those of you working in no clean processes, or product being built to
IPC Class III requirements, would you share with us your experiences and
requirements with respect to component date codes?? I'd like to know your
date code requirements on your vendors, does it cost you extra money or
planning time, what type of products do you make, and what IPC Class
requirements do you use?

By the way, I have a copy of ANSI/J-STD-002 which was helpful, but a bit
vague.

Thanks

Regards

Sherman Banks