TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:57:28 UT
Yuan,

Your message seems sound enough but I would suggest the following:

1 Get artwork and have your board supplier make the coupons for you exactly as
per your production boards.
2 Get him to apply your/his preferred resist exacly as per your production
boards.
3 When you receive them, apply the flux/paste of your choice to 4 of them
WITHOUT components and pass through solder station.
4 With other coupons, mount components and solder them again with the same
flux/paste you prefer.
5 Leave some uncleaned and clean others
6 Coat some.

This programme involves 32 coupons in total each with 4 test sites = 128 test
sites.

Stage 1 = 32 coupons = 4 to be tested
Stage 2 = 28 coupons = 4 to be tested
Stage 3 = 24 coupons = 4 to be tested
Stage 4 = 20 coupons = 4 to be tested
Stage 5 = 12 coupons = 8 to be tested ie 4 uncleaned and 4 cleaned
Stage 6 = 8 coupons   = 8 to be tested try 2 different coatings

My recommendation is to use IPC B36 coupons. At least, make sure you mount
components over the comb patterns to properly reflect your production
conditions. Then have the testing done using frequent monitoring i.e. every 1
or 2 hours. We found that makes a huge difference and you should pick up any
failure trends earlier than the full 5 or 7 day cycle suggested in IPC-TM-650.

Strongly recommend you call Doug Pauls at: [log in to unmask] he will help, I am
sure.

Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Ltd                                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Alasan House, Albany Park                       Tel:    +44 (0)1276 691100
Camberley, Surrey GU15 2PL UK           Fax:    +44 (0)1276 691227