TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 07:55:02 +0100
Cristian Bomboe wrote:-
>Hi TechNet,
>
>Which is the best protection for gold plated edge conectors to be applied before
>HAL?
>
>Thanks,
>Cristian
Hello Christian,

We have found tape to be the best answer although you can use peelable
solder mask. Tape can be cut to size before application or applied along
the complete edge. We have tried various tapes and can recommend one in
particular. If you would like to e-mail me direct I can give you the
details.

The main thing with any mask is to cover the gold completely and overlap
onto solder mask or laminate. If solder gets a touch of the gold it will
wick up under the mask as it dissolves the gold. Also, try to HAL with
the edge connectors on the vertical edge.
Paul Gould
Teknacron Circuits Ltd
Isle of Wight,UK