TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
David Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:17:41 -0500
Supposedly gold ball bonding can be performed at room temperature with a
high frequency ultrasonic generator.  There was just an article in one of
the trade journals (Semiconductor International, August Issue) regarding
room temperature bonding.  Haven't tried it yet.

One can make a bond stick at room temperature with a normal ultrasonic
generator, but I would question the reliability of that bond.  There would
probably be mechanical forces holding the bond down, but not a true weld.

As for the capillary, I'm not sure that you can get one with those
dimensions.  K & S Micro-Swiss (and others I imagine) sell bottleneck
capillaries, but I think their standard bottleneck height is 18 mils with a
tip diameter of 6 mils.  This capillary can handle 0.7 - 1.3 mil wire.  I
have a 1990 catalog, so maybe there have been improvements since then, but
50 mils would be a stretch I think.

Dave Anderson

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 08/15/97 12:54pm >>>
Hello Everybody,

I had a couple questions concerning gold ball bonding.  First I was
wondering
about the feasability of gold ball bonding without using heat.  Second,
What
is the finist tip on a capillary that can be made for a deep access
application
The diameter can not be greater than 9.5 mils at 50 mils up from the tip.
If
such a cap is possible to make what diameter wire would be used.

Thanks for the help,
Peter Scott