TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Aric J Parr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:32:53 -0500
I notice you did not adjust temperature.

I have a few suggestions from similar problems with new machine start-ups. On at
least 1 brand, the leveling screws on the solder pot, wave generator, and rails
worked loose, resulting in non-level rails and wave. These were reset and the
problem never recurred.

Now for optimizing the machine.

1)      Check the rail height over the wave. The larger the gap, the more
turbulent the wave, which can result in increased shorts.

2)      Run a controlled experiment, and include conveyor height and exit wing
(or choke bar, back plate or equivalent), conveyor speed, preheat...

3)      Beyond a noticeable minimum flux amount, insufficient flux will not be a
factor.

Good luck

Aric Parr
Subject: [TECHNET] Assy: bridges at wave soldereing