TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
drilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:29:11 -0700
Richard,
The gauge pin measures the virtual condition (virtual size) of the hole.
If the customer specification requires a gauge pin, then you are
actually measuring the combined effect of size, drill wander, and
profile of the hole. Therefore, a hole that measures within diameter
specification at every horizontal section of the hole, may or may not
allow a gauge pin to pass through, if the there is enough variation in
profile and drill wander. It is mutually beneficial for customer and
supplier to spell out these details on the drawing using ANSI Y14.5 and
drawing notes.   SOP should be based on what will provide a functional
reliable part.