TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Denis Meloche <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:06:32 -0400
You could try welding a ribbon wire to the pad although this particular
application sounds difficult.  I have also used conductive epoxy to attach
wire bonds and ribbon leads to gold pads where wirebonding could not be
used.  I never liked the process due to the skill level required but it
worked and suffered few failures in a mil application.  Feel free to write
or call offline.

At 10:22 AM 8/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I have been challenge to find some means of connecting gold pads on a thin
>film head to the gold pads on a PCB.  This would be nothing that simple
>wire bonding could noy resolve, except for one minor problem.  The gold pads
>on the head that need to be accessed are located 100 mils below the PCB gold
>pads within a valley.  The back face is the 100 mil wall,  The base where the
>gold pads are located is 10 mils wide, and the front face is 47 mils high.
The
>gold pads are 4 mils by 7 mils.  I have almost give up on the idea of wedge
>bonding or gold ball bonding due to such a tight area, also the part can
>only be subjected to little if any heat.  Does anybody know of a way of
>connecting two such surfaces?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
>Thank You,

>eter Scott

Denis Meloche
Heraeus Cermalloy