TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
"D. Rooke" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:30:49 -0400
We have been using IST technology for a number of years now and find it
extremely beneficial in assessing the intrinsic reliability of plated
through holes. It has a benefit of being both a relatively rapid assessment
tool while at the same time permiting an analytical approach to failure
analysis. We routinely use it as one of the techniques to validate process
changes PRIOR to implementation.

The IPC has recently included IST test methodology in the IPC-TM-650 manual.

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire
A division of Viasystems

= = = = = = = =
>Hi everyone,
>I just managed to dig through all the stuff on my desk and find the April
issue of CircuiTree. Among the articles there was one about IST
(=Interconnect Stress Test) written by Bill Birch. Among other things he
wrote that the IST will be in the next IPC-TM-650.

>My questions to you:
>- Does anybody have any experience with this test and is willing to share
the knowledge ?
>- I understand that this method is supposed to allow a good distinction
between PTH failures and interconnect failures (post separations), is that
really so?.