TECHNET Archives

August 1997

From:
Denis Meloche <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:01:50 -0400
If I read this correctly you are soldering the body of a device with high
temp and the leads are reflow soldered at a later time with a lower temp
alloy.  I see no technical reason why both could not be soldered
simultaneously.  As for performing two reflow cycles on a solder joint
soldered with paste this is not an unusual condition and is performed
regularly in commercial applications.  The risk with reflowing twice is
there will be more intermetallic formation due to the collective dwell time
at liquidus of the joint(s)reflowed twice.  In a commercial application
where there are minimal thermal and physical loads on the device a double
reflow usually does not pose a problem.   In an environment subject to
thermal cycles, shock, vibration, or in an RF application the intermetallic
could pose some risk.  In either case, only testing can prove the product
is robust enough for the process.
Denis Meloche
Heraeus Cermalloy