DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
JoAnn Amerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:49:03 +0000
>         REGARDING CHECKLISTS FOR DESIGNERS, WE USE AN EXTENSIVE
>         CHECKLIST BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH A DESIGN.  I AGREE, ENGINEERS ARE
>         UNWILLING TO PROVIDE THE INFO NECESSARY TO PRODUCE A GOOD DESIGN.
>         HOWEVER, NO MATTER HOW EXTENSIVE A CHECKLIST YOU EMPLOY, IT SEEMS
>         THAT NO ONE CAN VISULIZE THE PRODUCT UNTIL THE DESIGN IS DONE.

Amen to that!!  Why is it that engineers don't want to part with this
information?  Heaven forbid we might just be able to better capture what they
had in mind in the first place.

>         WE OFTEN SEE MAJOR CHANGES WHEN THE DESIGN IS DONE AND CHECK PLOTS ARE
>         BEING REVIEWED.  THAT'S WHEN YOU ASK  " WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE PAGE
>         WAS BLANK???"

I'd rather know where their brain was.  But I suspect I already know the
answer to that question. ;-)

By the way - these are not necessarily my employer's viewpoint.

JoAnn L. Amerson
Design Librarian
Red Lion Controls, Inc.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]