DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bowles Brad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:38:00 MST
Jack,

Regarding number 3 below, we still see evidence of heat-sinking due
to copper density in surface mount boards.  However, this effect has
been greatly reduced since the introduction of forced-convection reflow
ovens.  (5 years ago, when infrared ovens were prevalent, this was a
serious problem.)  At present, this effect is usually limited to very small
chip components (e.g. 0402 and 0603 chips).

Here's an example:  Let's suppose you have an IC with several adjacent
leads/lines that need to be terminated.  So you place a row of capacitors
parallel to the leads on the IC.  You bring traces from the leads to one
side
of the capacitors.  On the other side of the capacitors you have two
choices:
you can drop individual vias to your closest plane for each capacitor or you
could drop a single via to the plane and bus all of the capacitors to that
via.

If you choose to bus the capacitor pads together, you will see this heat
sink
effect.  The pads that are bussed together create a small heat sink and the
pads that are connected to the IC will begin to reflow first.  The surface
tension
of the solder during reflow exceeds the amount of force required to
tombstone
0402 or 0603 chips.

Again, the effects of heat-sinking due to copper are greatly reduced when
using forced convection ovens.  But these effects can still be seen when
using
0402 and 0603 chips.  Imagine what fun we'll have with 0201 chips...

Brad
Circle M