DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:49:01 -0400
OK, I'll take a leap;

1) A pad having MORE than two traces either
  a) Is a "T" intersection, typically undesirable (re: RFI control or
normal analog circuit magick) but not necessarily catastrophic;
b) Or, potentially contains acid traps due to acute angles.

"a" is the more likely reason in most cases. Analog circuits can be very
sensitive to layout and routing geography.

2) However, TWO traces to a pad is quite acceptable, particularly if a
trace needs to connect to a pin, and another on the other side of that
pin; to continue the trace through said pad is preferable to creating a
stub trace and routing around the rest of the component to the second
pad.

3) Exceptions: cases of excessive heat drain on very small components,
or larger components with very wide traces. Use thermal webs when
possible in such cases (meaning, you have to use multiple connections to
the pad).

4) In other words, you can (and, you can't) use multiple traces into a
given pad. It all depends on the situation and the circuit. This is why
we get the big bucks ;) we're in charge of getting this right.
"If it smokes when we plug it in, put in an ECR and blame the layout
guy"
--
Cap'n Jay the Red
"In wildness is the preservation of the World" - Thoreau