TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"Maguire, James F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:21:14 -0700
This is a re-submittal.  Apparently 1st one didn't make it out.

I have heard of special test die (ie. silicon) developed to support
reliability testing of surface mount solder joints; especially LCCs and
BGAs.
These die typically did continuity but also included other features such
as
* power cycling capability
* strain gage measurement of stresses on die
* ability to measure (on die) temperature and/or humidity/moisture
content

We are beginning to layout a test vehicle for BGA efforts and want to
include
a die in the vehicle (based on the literature that the die significantly
effects the strains in the part during temp cycling and thus it's "life)
and
were considering using some special die (assuming that they were
available).
We assume we would have to pay to have these die "mounted" and wire
bonded
into the BGA vehicles we plan on testing.

My questions are:
a) Does anyone have any experience with using these "special test die"
in
    life testing for SMD joints?
    If so, in hindsight was the "extra expense" worthwhile or not??

b) Does anyone know of any sources for the die?  P/Ns? Capabilities
(e.g.
    continuity, powercycling, etc).

Thanks for your time.
Jim Maguire