TECHNET Archives

July 1997

Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 97 10:24:43 cst
     Hi Pat -

     We are using the Sn43/Pb43/Bi14 alloy on one product with very good
     success. The low melting point helps avoid some thermal shock issues
     we have on the assembly. One word of caution - the Sn43/Pb43/Bi14
     alloy forms a low melting point at approximately 95 C which causes the
     solder joints to fall apart. In our application the product never goes
     above 80C in its use environment so the use of the Sn43/Pb43/Bi14
     alloy is feasible. Take a look at your product in its use environment
     with the temperature excursions in mind to see if you will or will not
     have problems. I would also recommend that you set up a specific
     soldering process around the alloy to prevent it from accidentally
     "migrating" to other areas of the manufacturing process.  Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins