TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Denis Meloche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:24:18 -0400
I have used a Leister Labor S model hot air blower with a nozzle that
conforms to the pin pattern.  It is a very sensitive process.  The PGA acts
like such a heatsink that it is virtually impossible to drive the lead temp
to reflow without toasting the board. I preheated the board on a hot plate
to 125 deg C to aid the process and it helped.  I always wondered if a
heated suction tool would help in the removal (I used ceramic PGA's).  The
board could be preheated and a heated tool would contact the ceramic
package using the package to drive the leads to reflow.  At reflow the
suction could be engaged to aid in device removal (the tool would not
contact the solder side of the PGA).   This would leave solder in the holes
which would need to be removed but it seemed to offer less jeopardy than
with solder wick or hot air on the solder joint method.  I was never able
to prototype or test the concept but it not much of a technical leap to try
it.
Denis Meloche
Heraeus Cermalloy
610-825-6050