TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"D.C.Whalley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:03:48 -0400
Prasad,

Given the right circumstances I would guess high cycle fatigue could
occur in soft solders. The worst situation would probably be if you had
an environment with a high level of vibration together with a constant
low temperature. Any significant change in temperature or interuption
to the vibration cycling is likely to result in (creep) plasticity
around the forming crack tip thereby "resetting the clock" on its
development.

In tests I did 10 years ago bending PCBs with 1206 & 1812 chip components
average cycles to failure went from about 3000 cycles at one cycle/hour
to 5000 cycles at 30/hour and 100,000 cycles at 600/hour (which is starting
to get into high cycle territory - certainly not much time for creep at
room temperature). Unfortunately I didn't do any mixed cycle rate tests
which might have confirmed my guess about plasticity.

David Whalley
Loughborough University