TECHNET Archives

July 1997

Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 22:54:09 -0400 (EDT)

>Having seen lots of SIR data from OTHER facilities, the problem could be a
>fault in the tester, or technique.  Did good old Bob retire around that
time?
> Did water quality in the rinse system change?  Did the DI water unit
>suddenly go south?  There are lots of factors that can cause poor SIR.
 Don't
>assume any one factor is the problem.

Sir Doctor Guru of SIR

You run two pieces of laminate, one from vendor A, the other from vendor B,
through the same process, and one passes easily, the other fails miserably,
and you repeat this test, with 100% reproducability.... if you can make
another deduction from this data, TechNet is awaiting your assessment....:-)

>I do agree that no two laminates are the same.  Varying levels of porosity
>and varying resin compositions can dramatically effect SIR, or at least
their
>processing characteristics.

Sir Doctor:

Most of the poor, overstressed PCB fabricators have only their vendors to
(pick one) 1. turn to for assistance  2. blame, and having been in both
positions more than once, it is clear to me that we all need to see what the
options are.   I for one, and suspect many others, never considered that
laminate could vary to this extent.   This was a great learning experience
for me, and I was hoping to spread the benefits....

Yours in science, and PCB fabrication:

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical