TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Denis Meloche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 01 Aug 1997 10:32:34 -0400
I disagree that gold and silver are incompatible.  At a former employer we
used to stake wirebonds with silver epoxy from Epoxy Technology in Mass.
We also used to stake ground straps to the gold plated finish of hermetic
hybrid packages with Epo-Tek H20E.  It was necessary to rough up the gold
finish to ensure that there was enough area to result in a strong bond.  We
used a device called and Abrader which is basically a micro sandblaster
originally designed to trim thick film resistors.  I never experienced non
compatibility with silver and gold but I did see a reaction between silver
epoxy and Sn63 solder.  Consider that many die are bonded to gold thick
film with silver epoxy.  I hope this helps.

Denis Meloche
Heraeus Cermalloy
610-825-6050