TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Jim Herard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:16:36 -0400
Vias can sometimes be filled with subcomposite build by filling them with the
epoxy resin (blind, not through vias).

In thin boards, with a multiple print, it is sometimes also possible to fill
them with LPI, but this is "iffy" and time consuming.

Filling them with a higher temperature solder might also be an option  (paste
and reflow or high temp wave).

if you only need to fill one or two vias, manually filling them with an epoxy
works.

Another possible option is to just "tent" both ends of the hole with a thick
dry film solder mask.

However, if you can avoid the need to fill them, it will make building the
"fab" a lot easier, and less costly.

Except for product around 23 mils thick, we do not fill vias 100%.  Your
requirement sounds very "painful" to the manufacturing folks.  Best of Luck!
Perhaps you can share your "goal" (why fill them) and maybe we can propose
another alternative also?

Jim Herard
KBL, Product Quality Engineering
IBM Microelectronics Endicott