TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:51:56 -0700
I am a lowly board designer, and I have been asked to
replace our standard via types (0.18 hole diameter) with
vias that are twice as large (.036 holes) to reduce the
inductance. I haven't seen any data to warrant a change
like this, so I was hoping:

Can anyone steer me towards finding out the inductance of
vias at 1.9GHz based on their diameter?

Is anyone brave enough to hazard an opinion as to the REAL
effect of vias on a 1.9GHz circuit? I should mention that
all signals are on one layer, the vias are ONLY for power
and ground access.

confused but want to learn,                         Jack