TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:53:34 -0400
Steve, were you referring this post to me?
Regards,  Doug

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re:  ESD ground vs Electrical ground
Date: Friday, July 25, 1997 12:50 PM

     You confused me, I assume you mean EARTH ground versus electrical
equipment
     ground??  If this is the case, either will be sufficient from both a
     personnel safety and ESD safety standpoint if installed correctly.

     If using earth ground by inserting a grounding rod through the floor
into
     the earth, the ground rod must be electrically bonded to the
electrical
     equipment ground (I believe this is a National Electrical Code
     requirement).  This is especially true if personnel are working with
     electrical equipment (soldering irons, etc.) while connected to
ground.  If
     there was an equipment failure where a "hot" wire contacted an
electrical
     ground (i.e. through the equipment chassis) that charge is going to
seek
     the least resistive path to ground.  If there was a lower resistance
     earth ground, personnel could be exposed to lethal voltage.

     However ESD wrist straps/cords must have a safety resistor installed
     limit current flow in case this happens.  The wrist straps and cords
should
     be tested daily to ensure that the resistor is functioning correctly.

     Basically if facility electrical ground is per electrical code, that's
the
     best way to go from both a safety as well as convenience standpoint.
You
     might want to ensure that there is very little difference between
     electrical ground and earth ground prior to committing to one method
or the
     other.

     Hope this helps, if I am not clear on something, let me know and I'll
     elaborate more (the boss gets mad when I spend 30 minutes writing one
     E-Mail)

     Steve McBride
     Frontier Engineering Inc.