TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Dmitriy Sklyar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:58:07 -0500

Dear Mail List Subscribers,

We mentioned a few weeks ago that IPC was preparing to move from its current mail list software to a new, more robust platform. Our software and platform of choice is L-Soft's LISTSERV software running on an NT server.

Since then, we have increased our capacity to support the tremendous mail activity generated by TechNet and the other mail lists: up to 60,000 e-mails per day. IPC now has an entirely new, up-to-date e-mail architecture, IP addressing scheme, T1 connnection to the Internet and two powerful SMTP gateways.

It is now time to cut over from our old mail list software to LISTSERV. Over the next week, each of our seven mail lists will be moved one at a time. As a subscriber, when your list is moved, you will be notified, and you will probably see a few "test" messages submitted to the list. We hope there will be no interruption in service. If there is, we ask for your patience.

When a mail list is moved to a new platform, both regular and digest subscriptions will remain intact. We will notify you of the move, and provide new instructions on how to administer your subscription when necessary. Put the instructions in a safe place!

The new platform will give us more flexibility. Once the cutover is complete, we will begin to implement new capabilities, such as limiting your mail to specific topics within a mail list; and a digest version of all mail lists (not just TechNet).

Let's work together as a team to make this cutover as quick and easy as possible. I will communicate with you each step of the way: Be sure to let me know if you have a problem.

Regards,

Dmitriy

Dmitriy Sklyar
Electronic Communication Manager