TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:01:18 -0700
Trivial question, but to the fabricators out there:
What percentage of your customers faithfully supply
targets on the Gerber data?
Do you even use targets for alignment or measuring?

Also, for anyone who cares to comment:
At my new company we are using vendors who can't
plot their own film, and we have to modem the data
over to a photoplotting vendor. This implies that
NO up-front engineering type CAM work is being done,
and most of these boards are impedance controlled
RF designs. Am I confused in thinking maybe we should
look for more modernized vendors, or did I just get
spoiled by cream-of-the-crop high-tech excellence?
(Also, its probably worth noting that the previous
employer's concern was high-quality prototypes FAST
TURN no matter the cost. Whereas here, money is a big
issue and these low-tech places are CHEAP!)

Not trying to start any wars here, but I'm curious
how many vendors these days just work from someone
else's film?