TECHNET Archives

July 1997

Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:13:05 -0400 (EDT)
I agree with most of the advice given by other commenters regarding temporary
solder masks.  We see a number of cases each year, usually in conjunction
with low solids (no-clean) fluxes, where electrical leakage and corrosion
problems are traced back to residues from these latex materials.  I would not
use any of them with a no-clean process without extensive testing.  The
problem is usually the cure reaction and what outgasses from the mask during
the curing.

Our column in Circuits Assembly, December 1996, covered one such case study
with problems associated with latex temporary masks.

Doug Pauls
CSL