TECHNET Archives

July 1997

Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:01:53 -0500
Andrew,
	This temperature data is used for a couple of things.  The first is establishing a process.  The temperature profile needed for a process is a function of the component mixture on the assembly, the distribution of the components on the assembly, the board laminate material and the flux formulation used in the solder paste.   By far, the dominate factor in this list is the flux formulation.  In many cases, the flux formulation determines the maximum ramp rates, peak temperature, flux activation temperature, etc.  If you do not meet these flux requirements, the results can be disastrous.  Problems from non-reflowed connections, solder balls, blow holes, poor wetting ...... the list goes on and on.
	The second use for this type of information is to maintain your process.  This means taking a profile before starting to run product on the line to confirm that the oven is working the same way it did yesterday.  Also, it is a good idea to run a profile periodically to insure that nothing has gone haywire in the system.
	If you need any more information, just let me know.

John Guy
ACI / EMPF
714 N. Senate Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3112