TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
John Swinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:12:56 -0400
You can help out your board fabricator quite a bit by tear-dropping the
pads at the trace entry point on the fine-line boards, especially if the
holes are not proportionately small along with the lines (for example: 5mil
spaces and 5mil lines, with 18mil holes- you're probably using
conventional means to drill the holes, in this case). Your CAD or CAM
system may well have a routine to tear-drop or "snow-man" the pads
such that opens do not occur if there is some mis-registration or drill
wobble. Its probably a good idea to use this feature.

John Swinehart
BFGoodrich Avionics Systems, Inc.

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 07/21/97 02:37pm >>>
     Mike,

I would estimate that 75%, if not more, of all fabricators in the states
have
the capability to fabricate .005 lines/spaces in a production mode.  The
problem
may be with your fabricator.  I'm not aware of of too many PCB shops
that can
not fab .005/.005.  The game changes once you go beyond this point.  I
found
most of my fabrication problems occured at .004/.004 and .003/.003
lines/spaces.
What has successfully worked is .004/.006 lines/spaces, respectively.
The
spacing is the driving force behind getting good conductor walls and
minimizing
overetching.  The additional spacing allows for the etch chemistries to
sufficiently etch copper in the tracks (valleys) and be replinished
efficiently.
The chemistries used to etch are isotropic, meaning they etch in all
directions
proportionally.  What I observed on .003/.003 and .004/.004 lines/spaces
is
severe undercut, conductor slivers and bridges.

This is not to say .003/.003 and .004/.004 lines/spaces can not be
obtained.
The fabricator must have the necessary equipments, chemistries and
process
controls in place to do so.  I know of several in the inductry that are
fab'ing
.003 and .004 lines and spaces in volume, but at a premium.  If you need
assistance, I can probably recommend several fab houses in your region
for your
current .005/.005 requirement.  Hope this helps.

John Gulley
Inet Inc
1255 W. 15th St
Plano, TX 75075-7270