TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Don Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:32:02 -0500
John:

You should review the responses again.  I only skimmed them, but they
appeared to address pads on inner layers only.  Removing pads on
external layers will leave you open to potential reliability problems
for several reasons:

1.  An artwork dot or pad approximately the drilled hole diameter is
required on outer layers where there is no pad.  This allows plating in
the hole.  The size of this feature affects the thru hole plating.  If
the pad is at the drilled hole size, the plating will reach the surface
but any misregistration will result in a partial annular ring on the
board surface.  As the feature's diameter becomes smaller, the plating
in the hole barrel recedes from the outer surface of the board to a
point where there is little or no plating in the hole.

2.  The adhesion of a plated barrel to laminate is not always optimum.
See specifications on resin recession for what is allowable.  If
separation occurs at the outer layer, you have a pocket that can collect
contaminates or worst case propagate the separation through the board.
Boards that have been subjected to a desmear process (almost all
multilayers) will exhibit greater adhesion of the hole barrel to the
laminate compared to the same board without desmear (primarily double
sided).

3.  Consider where the board will be probed after assembly.  A via
without an outer layer pad and plating that does not reach the surface
might not reliably make contact with a test probe.

In conclusion, the benefits of retaining or removing internal pads are
well represented by the following responses, but the removal of external
pads IMO is not recommended.  Rather follow the guidelines in IPC-D-275
for pad sizing allowing for breakout per IPC-6012.

Don Vischulis