TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"Nachbor, Suzanne (MN51)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 97 11:44:00 PDT

We have 0805 chip components with bridging occurring (underneath) after wave
soldering. 1206 chips placed on the same board with approximately twice the
adhesive volume do not show any bridging.  We have been using this
component, adhesive, adhesive dot size, and footprint  for years and never
had this problem.  The only change that has occurred is our pick and place
equipment.  The default on the new equipment was to place the chip at 3.5N
force.  The old one placed at approximately 2N force (this value is highly
suspect).   We are in the process of doing some testing with placement of
the chips at different forces to see if this might be our problem.  We are
also looking at the adhesive material and cure times, etc.  Has anyone else
observed similar problems?