TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Lainie Loveless)
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 97 16:47:06
To:            mail@ih [log in to unmask]
Date:          17-Jul-97 08:58:48 -0500
Subject:       DIP packaging
From:          mail@ih (Benjamin A Guthrie) [log in to unmask]

B.G. wrote:
>My buyer tells me I'm dealing with an industry norm, and woe unto me if I
>try to change anything.  Am I really?  Is the pin stuffed into the middle of
>a partial tube really necessary?  Are the parts that fragile?  Is there a
>bad experience back there somewhere for which I'm still suffering?  Some
>suppliers shove a piece of foam down to the last part, but try getting that
>thing out if application polarity requires it.  Hah!
>
>I'd be particularly interested in hearing from somebody (still using DIPs)
>who buys them in tubes secured at the ends only, regardless how full the
>tube is; or somebody who gets them secured without damaging the tube; or
>somebody who sells DIPs that can tell me if I'm pushing a rope or not.

We are a small volume, high product mix shop and buy quite a lot of
our parts in dip tubes.  We usually buy from a distributor and they
usually use rubber stops at either end.  (No pins in the middle,
regardless of how full the tube is!)  We rarely have a problem
with damage arrising from an unfull dip tube (bent pins, etc.), IF
the tube is the correct size & geometry for the part.  They also
occasionally insert plastic spacers (that slide out easily)  in the tube
if it's to be shipped partially full.  Tell your buyer to shop
around!
Lainie Loveless
General Atronics Corp
Wyndmoor, PA