TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Benjamin A Guthrie)
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:58:48 -0500
I need some help with an old-tech problem.

We buy a variety of 0.300"-wide plastic DIPs packaged in tubes for automatic
insertion on a Universal inserter.  Polarity is constant within each tube,
and the tubes are loaded into the machine oriented to produce the polarity
needed for the particular applications.  DIP tubes are prepunched near the
ends with nice, smooth holes into which the DIP suppliers insert hard
plastic pins to retain the parts in the tube.  However, when we buy a
partial tube of parts, they punch a pin through the tube behind the last
part, and the pin forces a deep plastic "burr" into the tube channel.
Depending on the insertion application, (half the time) we must dispense the
parts from the "burred" end of the tube, and they won't fall past the burr.
Bummer.  The machine operator has to transfer the parts from the shipping
tube to a smooth tube, keeping polarity uniform, before using the parts.  Up
go cost, cycle time, and defects.

My IC buyer tells me I'm dealing with an industry norm, and woe unto me if I
try to change anything.  Am I really?  Is the pin stuffed into the middle of
a partial tube really necessary?  Are the parts that fragile?  Is there a
bad experience back there somewhere for which I'm still suffering?  Some
suppliers shove a piece of foam down to the last part, but try getting that
thing out if application polarity requires it.  Hah!

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from somebody (still using DIPs)
who buys them in tubes secured at the ends only, regardless how full the
tube is; or somebody who gets them secured without damaging the tube; or
somebody who sells DIPs that can tell me if I'm pushing a rope or not.

Thanks.
Hughes Defense Communications
Benjamin A Guthrie                     Phone: (219)429-8324
Mail Stop:25-31  Fax: (219)429-4688     Email: [log in to unmask]
HDC, 1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808