TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
"Landes, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 97 11:51:00 PDT

Andre,

I've seen opens and shorts caused by the wave solder process reflowing BGA
solder connections.  When it happened the reaction plan was to immediately
100% inspect paste deposition, check the reflow profile, and to 100% x-ray
after reflow.  Because we didn't check the wave solder process, we allowed
more defective boards to be built.

I've also been told of occurrences where there were BGA connections becoming
open on the package (but still soldered to the pad) on non functional BGA
I/Os.  The thought here is that the wave profile was pushing the edge and
the joints that had no internal heat sinking were reflowing.

At any rate, an IR temp gun was purchased to monitor the topside temperature
at wave soldering.  The target I believe is to be below 160 C.

Hope this helps.