TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Mike Wolverton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Wolverton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:35:35 -0700
Tin plate has a problem with the potential for tin whiskers. The whiskers are
long single crystals that can cause shorts. Some tin plate manufacturers can
avoid the potential for tin whiskers by alloy additions or other
formulation/plating process improvements. The whiskers can be prompted by
thermal history and even by stress. People often avoid pure tin plate because
it can be risky.

Mike Wolverton /Microwave Advanced Technology /AT&C
TI
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Original text