TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Poh Kong Hui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:05:47 +0800 (SST)
Hi Paul,

Normally , to solder on silver is not easy. The solder doesn't like to spray.
However, if you have some surface contaminant or oxidized/tarnished
surface, you will face even more difficulty in soldering.

I would suggest to clean the surface of the Ag with acetone or HCFC-225.
It may help in term of better solder spreading. But, I guess you wouldn't be
getting a good spread as compared to tin-lead soldering.

And be very careful if you are using soldering iron. If not careful, Ag will
be removed from the substrate..

Good Luck..

Poh