TECHNET Archives

July 1997

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:24:21 -0500
The following is the text of a letter being distributed today to IPC the OEM and EMSI member representatives, and all members of the Assembly and Joining Committees, Sub-Committees, and Task Groups. It is posted here to advise other industry folks that also have an interest and may wish to participate in this new project.
----------------------------
INTERIM MEETING TO DEVELOP A DOCUMENT ON STANDARDIZED DEFECT CATEGORIES AND PARTS PER MILLION DEFECT RATE CALCULATION TO BE HELD Monday September 8, 1997 IN THE PASEO ROOM, FAIRMONT HOTEL, SAN JOSE, CA

Dear Colleagues:

It has become apparent based on a number of IPC studies, TechNet discussions and member comments that there is misunderstanding of interconnect assembly defect identification and reporting.  At the recommendation of the IPC Electronic Manufacturing Services Industry Management Council, and the National Electronics Manufacturing Initiative, IPC is starting to work to standardize the categorization of assembly defects, and to develop a common definition for parts-per million defect calculation and reporting.

A common definition for parts-per-million defects will help the electronics assembly industry benchmark its performance and quality. Standardized defect identification and categorization permits the industry to communicate with a common "language", facilitates electronic reporting and more efficiently assesses the manufacturing process.

Location of the Meeting

The kick-off meeting for this project will occur during Surface Mount International in San Jose, California, on Monday, September 8. 1997.  We will meet from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Pasco Room of the Fairmont Hotel.

To attend this meeting, we ask that you complete the registration form on the bottom of this page and e-mail it back to me at [log in to unmask]  PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO ME DIRECTLY AND DO NOT REPLY TO THE TECHNET. If you have any questions on the meeting or if you have any agenda suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact me.  I look forward to seeing you in San Jose.  (Please review the website at http://www.surfacemount.com for more information about all the exciting things happening at SMI.)

Can't attend but want to contribute?

We recognize that not everyone will be able to attend the San Jose meeting.  If you have an interest in this effort, and have some company material that you would like to contribute, please send it to my attention.  All interested parties will be added to the mailing list.

----------------------------

I HAVE INDICATED BELOW MY ABILITY TO ATTEND THE DEFECT CLASSIFICATION/PPM MEETING IN SAN JOSE MONDAY SEPTEMBER 8, 1997

I will be able to attend the meeting--yes/no
I can contribute information--yes/no
Name:
Company:
Phone: